Kanaani Primary School
Location: Athi River, Between Slota and Njoguini Slums. Machakos County, Kenya.
Student’s population grown from 500 students in 2011 to 1120 in 2022.
Amara was urged to work with this school so as to provide quality education to the growing population of students from the two nearby slums.
Amara’s partnership at this school includes:
- Refurbishment of 6 classrooms (donated by Orient Lodge), construction of 3 new classrooms (by Brij Foundation and Amara)
- Construction & installation of a kitchen and store, donated by Independent Franchise Partners, LLP-UK
- An energy saving stove was also installed in the kitchen.
- Classrooms were equipped with students' desks and teachers' tables.
- Introduced vegetable garden in 2013 and installed drip kit and greenhouse / netting.
- Donation of solar lanterns, curriculum textbooks, stationery and sanitary pads.
- A fully equipped Karate workshop since 2015. Karate uniforms were donated to the students.
- Conducted peer to peer education with urban schools (Aga Khan Academy).
- Health and hygiene workshop for the children by the medical students of Nairobi University in 2015.
- A story telling workshop for the pupils, courtesy of international story tellers, Kiran Shah and Shella Wee from Australia and Singapore respectively.
- Installation of playground equipment in 2017.
- In 2018, Amara intends to work with the special needs students from the locality, to provide them with a quality education.
- In February 2018, we handed over a 12 door ablution block kindly donated by Hena Sawjani & Family, Anand & Meghna Dave
- Donation of new school uniforms to 729 students in standard 1 to 7 students in 2018
- Donation of a 20 ft container used as Head teacher's office, kindly donated by Mr. & Mrs. Navnit Shah
- Repainting of 3 classrooms by Beta Healthcare International Limited
- Set up a systematic library in 2018 in partnership with Streeniketan Nairobi