Kyangoma Boarding Special School
Location: Kikima Town,Makueni County
Amara started working with this school in 2013. The Amara team were very concerned to see the girls use the classrooms as their dormitory. There was a lack of good hygiene, balanced meals and access to water.
Since the construction of the girls' dormitory, the number of students has grown from 88 in 2013 to 110 in 2022.
Amara’s involvement with the school has been to:
- Construct and furnish a 38 bed girls' dormitory, multipurpose hall & kitchen (2013), pathway from dormitory to classrooms and kitchen area (2017) in partnership with Healthcare Direct (K) Ltd and CAREducation Trust
- Digging of a well in December 2016 and installing a pump kindly donated by Eng Anthony Wandu in January 2017.
- Arranging medical care and physiotherapy sessions throughout 2017 in partnership with Healthcare Direct (K) Ltd.
- Vocational training for 14 students.
- Fun craft & play workshop for the children.
- Installation of playground equipment kindly donated by Petroleum Industrial Services
- Starting a vegetable garden and planting fruit trees.