Kwa Kalusya Primary School
Location: Lukenya, Machakos County
Amara’s involvement with this school started in 2010. Amara chose to rebuild and refurbish this school because the classrooms were previously dilapidated stables. This was Amara’s flagship project where the team learned about interacting with the community, liaising with education bodies, and the need for holistic education. The team also learnt that many children did not go to school but were engaged in sand harvesting and were searching for water. To attract and retain students at the school, Amara introduced the porridge scheme to feed children in the area.
The number of students rose from 80 in 2010 to 176 in 2017.
Amara assisted by providing the following;
- Construction of a hall, kitchen and store in 2011.
- Construction of 5 new classrooms and 8 door ablution block in 2012.
- Replaced porridge programme with a lunch feeding programme in 2016.
- Planted grevillea trees to fence the school compound.
- Donations of water tanks, solar lanterns, stationery, sports equipment and uniforms.
- Conducted teenage workshops and peer to peer education for the pupils.
- Set up a fully functional library in 2017.
- Donation of new school uniforms to 124 students in standard 1 to 7 in 2018