Ngwata primary school
Location: Mlolongo Township, Machakos
Amara started working with this school in 2015. We chose this school because the iron sheet classrooms had no floor, were overcrowded and were poorly ventilated. We, therefore, decided that the educational facility needed to be rebuilt and refurbished to allow the students to learn in a more conducive learning environment.
Student numbers increased from 570 in 2015 to 3250 in 2023.
Amara undertook the following:
- Construction of 6 new classrooms and a kitchen in partnership with MZ & KZ Foundation-UK, Victoria Commercial Bank Charitable Trust, Endeavour Africa Group & Soilex Prosolve Ltd
- Equipping classrooms with desks.
- Introduced a feeding program in 2015.
- Providing piped water and installed a water tank.
- School has restricted land available for expansion, but County Development Fund (CDF) have built 8 classrooms on 2 floors and another block of 2 classes nearer gate.
- Amara set up a fully functional library in September 2018 kindly donated by Dipak & Bharti Shah, Hemina & Mitul Malde, RAAW Trust & CAREducation Trust.